This was a challenging commission to replace a stolen Esteve contrabass guitar. A compound cut-away and a passive bridge plate pickup system were added to the replacement guitar. A special bridge was designed to accept the ball ends on the LaBella contrabass strings. A custom ball end was fashioned for the first string to accommodate a Hannabach high E string that is not supplied with a ball end. Thanks to Jeffrey Elliott and Mike Doolin for their input and guidance.
Please enjoy this video of Eric Slavin playing this instrument.
- East Indian rosewood back and sides, aged European spruce top
- Macassar ebony headstock veneers
- Macassar ebony bindings
- Original rosette of ebony, holly and boxwood
- Gilbert tuning machines
- Compound cut-away
- K & K Sound bridge plate pick-up
- 750 mm scale length tuned one octave lower than a classical guitar